Parkinson’s Information Seminar Cairns
Saturday 25 July 2015 | 9.30am-3pm
Pullman Cairns International | 17 Abbott St Cairns
Join us for an educational experience as we delve inside the world of Parkinson’s – the 2nd most common degenerative neurological condition in Australia.
– Learn from world renowned experts in the field of Parkinson’s neurology and neurosurgery as they explain the complexities of Parkinson’s disease.
– What are the treatment choices available for people living with Parkinson’s?
– Ways of better managing the symptoms through speech pathology and physiotherapy
– Latest Parkinson’s Research.
Who should attend?
– Health Professionals (GPs, nurses)
– Allied Health Professionals (speech pathologists, OTs, physiotherapists, social workers, counsellors, exercise physiologists, etc.)
– People with Parkinson’s & related conditions
– Care givers, partners and family members
8.30am Registration desk open
9:30am Welcome by Helen Crew, CEO
9:45am Opening Special Guest, Mayor Bob Manning OAM, Cairns Regional Council
10:00am What is Parkinson’s Disease and Treatment Options Dr Craig Costello, Neurologist
10:30am Deep Brain Stimulation – Assoc. Professor Terry Coyne, Neurosurgeon
11:00am Q & A
12:00pm Latest Parkinson’s Research – Professor George Mellick, Griffith University
12:40pm Q & A
1:30pm Supporting the communication needs of people with Parkinson’s – Megan Swales, University of Queensland
2:00pm Physiotherapy and facilitating movement in people with Parkinson’s – Professor Sandy Brauer, University of Queensland
2:30pm Q & A
2:50pm Seminar Close